CIS 1057: Unix Platform
Accessing the server
You can access unix system using a telnet/SSH program PuTTY.
In the 'Host Name' box you need to enter the host name of the server you want to connect to.
Host name: astro.temple.edu
After you have connected you will be prompted for username and password. Enter your Temple username (for example tuc9999999999) and password.
If menu shows up you should choose option 4 - exit to the Unix system prompt to run other applications or to log off.
Then you should type in:
The system will ask you for a password. You should enter your Temple password. If everything is ok the server will grant you access and you can begin your session.
When you have finished you should log out by typing exit.
passwd - initiates the process for changing your password.
mkdir directory - creates a new directory.
cd directory - changes the current directory to another directory.
cd .. - moves back one directory.
ls - lists directory contents.
rm filename - deletes a file in a directory.
rm -r directoryname - deletes a directory and the subdirectories and files in the directory.
To access pico, type:
Filename is the name of an existing file or the name of a new file. This command will bring you into the pico screen.
You will see commands along the bottom of the screen. These commands are prefaced by the Ctrl character. In order to activate a command, you must hold down the Ctrl key and tap the letter.
Ctrl+g - to get help.
Ctrl+x - to exit.
Ctrl+o - to save your file.
Ctrl+k - to cut or delete a line of text.
Ctrl+u - to paste the text.
Ctrl+y - to go page up.
Ctrl+v - to go page down.
To access pine type pine at the Unix system prompt and press enter. You will then see the pine main menu.
- To send a message, press "c" from the main menu. You will then see the Compose Message screen.
- In the "To:" row, type the e-mail address of the message recipient.
- Tab to the "Subject:" row, type a subject for the message.
- Press the Tab key again and you will then be in the Message Text portion of the screen where you can type your message.
- To attach a file to the message, Tab to the "Attchmnt" row in the message header and press "Ctrl+j".
Press "Ctrl+t" to display the files and directories in your home directory. Move the highlight bar over the filename and press enter.
The system will prompt you to enter an optional comment for the attachment.
When you press enter, the file will be attached to your email message.
- To send the message press the "Ctrl+x". When the system prompts you to verify that you want to send the message, press "y".
- To exit from pine press "q" from the main menu.